Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Harvey, Irma, and Floyd
by Kathryn Ravenwood 9-5-17


On September 16, 1999 Hurricane Floyd hit Cape Fear North Carolina at 6:30 am as a Category 2 hurricane, downgraded from its earlier Category 5 status. Still, storm surges 10’ high slammed into the coast. 15-20 inches of rain were dumped onto ground that had been fully saturated by a deluge from Hurricane Dennis just 10 days prior. There was no place for the water to go, no way to avoid the 130 MPH winds; Floyd was a most unwelcome visitor indeed. Later that night 4 major rivers and their tributaries flooded, sending torrents of water through North Carolina’s pig and poultry factory farm lands. Millions of chickens, pigs and turkeys held captive in low roofed containment houses were drowned, the structures breaking apart releasing dead animals into the flood. The waters also took out the sewage lagoons - each one holding about 25 million gallons of animal waste, including the passed through antibiotics, hormones, supplements, pesticides, and parasites that had been in each animal’s body.  All this entered the flood.  Joining the horror were the contents of washed out human sewage plants, gasoline, motor oil, farm and personal vehicles full of gas and oil, even hundreds of human coffins spilling their dead - all into the waters. Dozens of dams broke adding more volume to the torrent. Homes, stores, farms, yards, whole towns were covered with this nightmare of toxic soup.  The rivers crested as high as 24’ above normal, surpassing records set in 1919.  Days later when the water began to recede, 18,000 square miles of North Carolina were underwater filled with such high levels of fecal coliform bacteria that it was just liquid filth. The water had no place to go but to flow as it would.  2.2 million chickens, 73,000 turkeys, 30,500 hogs and 250 horses died. Bulldozers were brought in to scrape up the bodies.  Attempts were made to incinerate the bloated, stinking, rotted carnage but it was just too much. Burial in the water logged ground was impossible. Eventually it was all left to find its way to the ocean, taking all that pollution with it.  

(The above paragraph is paraphrased by my book “How to Create Sacred Water: A Guide to Rituals and Practices. Inner Traditions/Bear & Co 2012. A link to Amazon is on my website: www.KathrynRavenwood.com or https://www.amazon.com/How-Create-Sacred-Water)

Sound familiar?  Think Houston.  And Irma is currently a Category 5 with 185 MPH winds ripping a path to the Caribbean Islands and making Florida very, very wary indeed. All the pictures of Harvey’s destruction are horrifying and Irma could be worse.  It is terrible people lose their homes and everything they have. Heartbreaking to be displaced with no place to go but a shelter that offers temporary respite at best. As we watch it all unfold and see the damage and destruction and brace for more to come it is beyond comprehension. 

I kept thinking about Floyd because Floyd is how I began my work as a Water Priestess.  While that storm was ranging in North Carolina, I was walking along serene and beautiful Green Lake in Seattle wondering how much the water table could manage - how much of that Floyd filth could be filtered out? Where did it all go?  And just then, in my ear, a Voice said, “you know, you could make a crystal homeopath elixir that will heal the Waters of Gaia.”  And so my journey, spawned by a hurricane, became a path of prayer and service to the Waters of Gaia. My story is told in my book. I began keeping a Sacred Water Altar - Spirit led me in how to make it, how to tend it, and how to use it. It consists of a cut glass punch bowl, a large amethyst that fills the bottom (the story of how that came to me is in my book) and a wand of selenite to stir the waters as I send healing love and prayers for the Waters of Gaia.  The crystals enhance the vibration of my words and the energy I put into the water. The stirring mixes it all together. I was told to keep the Altar full moon to full moon, offering prayers during the month and then taking the water - or now the Elixir - out to a river, ocean, stream or some body of water to send that amethyst filled blessing flowing into the waterways.  And I have done that since the fall of 1999.  Same bowl.  Same amethyst. Much selenite used as it melts in water.  I shared with friends who took the elixir with them on trips. I took it to Egypt. It was taken to Hawaii and shared with dolphins. I did the work, believing it was helping.  

Many months later I was shown the amazing book by Dr Emoto and his photographs of water crystals. If you are not familiar with his work, there is a chapter on it in my book and you can easily get a copy of his book. This validated what I felt and knew - Spirit gave me the work to do and I did it.  So did a lot of people - some created Water Altars like mine, many did their own work.  

And yet, there were those horrible pictures of Harvey’s wake on television.  I thought - we will never get ahead of all this pollution we cause? We cannot contain its damage.  Do our prayers really work?  

Yes. They. Do.  A few days after Harvey hit, in a pre-waking dream, I saw the vast expanse of toxic waters that had washed out so much of Houston. And I heard a Voice again - this time I knew it was St. Germaine.  He said to watch: and he sent a surge of amethyst, Violet Ray light across the waters turning them the most lovely purple, shining clean in that light.  He said, “this is how the water is healed, this is how the infrastructures are changed. This is what is needed. Each time you pray for the water, each time you send out the Elixir into a river or stream, a strand of the Amethyst Light, the Violet Flame, is anchored from Spirit into the physical realm.”

And I woke up.

Thank you for all the prayers you do for the water.  Thank you for all you do to help the animals, the trees, the earth, and the air.  Thank you for all you do to help our brothers and sisters.  

And Thank you, Water, for your Gift of Life.  I see you clean and restored.

...Original writing by Kathryn Ravenwood 9.5.17 with excerpts from my book: How to Create Sacred Water: A Guide to Rituals and Practices (Inner Traditions/Bear & Co 2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment